Saturday, February 18, 2006

Shirt Sizing

Shopping is not something I generally enjoy. This may be in part because even buying a simple t-shirt becomes complicated. I have tens of t-shirts that are "Large" that seem to fit me when I buy them but then I must double in size overnight and suddenly the little sleeves are riding up in my armpits. On the otherhand, when I put on an extra-large shirt there is so much loose material around my waist it looks like I'm incompetent at tying up my toga.

Even with my box-loading, pig-wrestling muscles, I'm 150 pounds with arms like broomsticks. Many 15 year olds just entering puberty are my size. In our "big-fat-fatty" society, I do not think I should be lost in some void between large and extra-large. Shirt sizing should be recalibrated to make me a small to medium and save large and extra-large for guys like Howie Long and Jiminy Glick. I used to be astounded by sizes like XXXL being common but now I understand. The sizing is just off. And would it kill someone to make a shirt with a subtle V-shape like the human body is supposed to have?

5 comments:

Native Minnow said...

You're not the only one. I seem to be stuck in the category between XL and XXL. Some XL shirts fit me fine, but a lot of them are too short for my torso (resulting in me showing off both belly buttons if I'm wearing one of those and have to raise my arms above my head). Most XXL shirts are long enough to avoid this, but they tend to be too wide in the shoulders and so the seam hangs further down on my arm than it should. I've learned that I just need to be very, very picky before purchasing new shirts.

Native Minnow said...

I have a friend that is similar in build to me (tall and thin), and he always used to complain about being able to find clothes that fit right as well. Mostly shirts and ties. He used to buy ties at the Big and Tall store so that they would be long enough, but couldn't buy shirts there because they were all too big. He used to say that they ought to change the name of the store from 'Big and Tall' to 'Big and Fat' because people who are tall and thin still can't find anything to wear there.

PsychDoctor said...

Yeah, like nativeminnow..I am stuck between large and XXL. I can fit some L sizes fine, some XL accentuate my sizely belly, and some don't. I actuallyjust need to lose about 20 lbs and I would be fine with XL.

ShootingStar said...

So, I don't want to say that women have it worse off but... have you ever looked into how their clothes are sized? Well shirts are basically the same as men, but pants are this crazy number system that doesn't coorelate to anything. you know how men's waste size 30 or 32 means 30 or 32 inches? Well those same sizes in women's are roughly 12 and 10--12 and 10 what you ask? How the hell should I know? It makes completely no sense at all. I was also completely amazed when I learned that men's size 12 actually means 12 inches! Women's size shoes have nothing to so with the actual number of inches of the shoe.

PsychDoctor said...

Hey flieswithoutwings...too busy with your new job to blog??? Get off your lazy butt and entertain us!!! :) It has been several days since you have posted anything.