Thursday, February 23, 2006

Keep on Truckin'

Yes, I have been very busy working. They tell me I'm working 10 hour days but when I figure the numbers over twelve hours are gone from my day when its done. Between that and laundry and kindergarten, the day goes by fast.

Work is interesting. You don't need to know anyone's name... everyone just goes by "motherf**ker." There is a group of guys that cruise around on special forklifts where the driver can rise up to 50 feet. I've been working with the "tugs." Tugs are like bumpercars built by Hummer. The forklift guys load little trailers with furniture and the tugs pick up the trailers and take them to the bays to be trucked out onto the highways. Driving a tug is like being a mechanical centipede in a land of furniture. I still have to get down carrying mattresses over my head. Those pillowtop queensized ones make you stagger around like a drunk man.

Everyone has to take lunch and break together because a guy was crushed to death by a row of marble tables that fell on him like dominos last year. No more working alone. The mofos taped his obituary on the shelf where he died.

At lunch time the TV is always set to TV Land: All in the Family. It's awkward to watch Archie Bunker rant on about how he refuses to "break bread with Jungle Bunnies" when there are several black people eating next to you. Anyway, it's already time for me to go again. Catch you all later.

8 comments:

Native Minnow said...

Sounds like a good time. Definitely different than the last job eh?

PsychDoctor said...

Sounds like your arms will look more like stuffed Riccotti than ramen noodles by the time you are done with this job... :)

Is it hard to get along with your coworkers, or are they pretty mellow?

PsychDoctor said...

I am quoting you by the way...I don't think you have spaghetti noodle arms..

slimysculpin said...

you don't think he has spaghetti arms? he's got grade-a don knott's quality spaghetti arms.

i'm a good pal. always ready to defend your honor when your busy.

Native Minnow said...

Get back to work motha' f**ka'

ShootingStar said...

I love the line-- "Driving a tug is like being a mechanical centipede in a land of furniture." It's been crawling around in my imagination.It's a cool image.

I hope the new job stays interesting enough to stimulate creative energy. George Saunders is a writer--mostly short stories and he said he knew he was a much better writer, because he worked numerous random jobs that gave him ideas for stories.

Gordon said...

I bet getting crushed by a marble table would like, totally ruin your day.

Native Minnow said...

Eleanor's too!