Thursday, January 17, 2008

Y'all Gon' Make Me Lose My Mind

Yesterday I woke up and my neck was killing me. It's residual pain from that car accident I was in a couple summers ago. I talked to my wife about it on the phone:

Me: "Do you want to hear something strange? Lastnight two guys at work got in a car accident. Someone ran a red light and totalled their car. It made me remember the accident I was in and I kept imagining them with whiplash and I got worried that just thinking about these things would set off the neck pain I still get. And then I woke up this morning and my neck hurts as bad as ever. Isn't that weird? Do you think psychology really has that kind of power over people? Where you can just THINK about something like neck pain and make it real? Because I thought maybe I could use willpower to pretend that my neck didn't hurt but I would go around trying to do things today and it hurt. The pain is real."

My Wife: "Are you mental?"

Me: "I guess."

PHONE CALL #2:

Me: "I just remembered something. Yesterday I was standing around bored at work so I hung from the roof of my stockpicker and did a bunch of pull ups. I haven't done any pull ups in a long time and I think the unexpected excercise is what caused my neck to hurt."

My Wife: "(Something to the effect of DUH!)"

1 comment:

Amber said...

i know what you mean, when i even think about how it would feel to burn myself again, just the memory of the pain makes me naseous.