Tuesday, January 29, 2008

We carried all the groceries in while hauling out the trash

My wife has been going through books fast lately. We bought her the book "Speak" about a teenaged girl who is raped and then has a rough time dealing with it but she finished it really fast. And then she insisted on seeing the movie they made of the book. Luckily, it's on YouTube.

I gave her one of my books to read. I've only read about 60 pages of it and it's practically brand new.

My wife took our kids to daycare at the school where she works and she accidentally left the book there. She thought, "No big deal, I'll just pick it up later in the day." So later in the afternoon she went down to retrieve the book.

She asked the ladies who worked in the daycare, "Have you seen my book around? I think I accidentally left it here."

One of the ladies tensed up. She got anxious and said to my wife, "Don't be mad at me. Please don't be mad at me."

My wife went through the possibilities. She may have taken the book to the "lost and found" in the school office. She may have taken the book to the school library. She may have even placed the book in the special area of the school where needy people can find things that people donate.

The lady admitted, "I saw the book and I thought I don't know what this is but it doesn't belong here... so I threw it in the trash."

The trash?

Yes, in the trash can?

In the TRASH can?

Yup.

My wife wasn't upset that she had to dump out the contents of the garbage can and dig around for the book. She just couldn't believe that, with all of the available options, IN A SCHOOL the most logical course of action appeared to be to throw a brand new book into the garbage.

My daughter heard my wife tell me that story in a state of awe and she sprang into action. This morning, my 4 yr old daughter presented my wife with a "Cap'n Crunch" box that she decorated with paper and drawings and asked if she could give it to the teacher to use as a "lost and found" for the classroom. My wife told her she should probably find a better box.

1 comment:

Native Minnow said...

Your daughter's a cutie. Speaking of your kids, have you talked to them about the perils of peer pressuring someone to jump off the roof of the house yet? If not, you probably should ;-)