Friday, May 19, 2006

Head Full of Suds

When I was reading about secret societies, they included a lot of essays on brainwashing and manipulation. Some guy who ended his name with PhD says he is a professional hypnotist/therapist and that he would like to implement laws to prevent the use of the tactics he uses in his profession. He says it would be useless to try this, though, because too many lawyers, government and religious agencies all currently use those methods to suit their needs. He talks about effective ways of speaking, use of lights, music, chanting, conjuring fear and guilt, sleep and food deprivation as ways to manipulate and control people. He says the worst people of all, though, are the True Believers. These are people who WANT to be told what to do. Basically, they don't want to think, they don't want to make an effort, they just want to follow some rules and be praised for it.

It's kind of like that Carrie Underwood girl from American Idol:

"Carrie, you have just attained worldwide fame and a million dollar record contract. You are the It-Girl. You can go anywhere and do anything. What do you have to say?"

"Jesus, take the wheel!"

Fantastic, Carrie. That took a lot of guts. Heaven forbid you actually BE SOMEBODY or take any responsibility for what you do. I don't think that it is a lot to ask for you to know and like yourself and to know why you do the things you do. If YOU can't do it then why would God want to know you?

Try to come up with a better answer than: "For God."

5 comments:

Native Minnow said...

That's why you shouldn't watch American Idol. I swear that show is from the devil. Ok, maybe not, but it does represent everything that's wrong with most of today's music. I blame you for keeping that show on the air.

Anonymous said...

I love that show, although I have been too busy this year to watch it. I was in school the nights it first started and have kind of lost interest. I think it took a lot of guts for Carrie to say "For God." Most young, famous divas would just be into themselves and what others would think about them being religious. If you believe in something you shouldn't be worried to answer the truth.

Gordon said...

My favorite bumber sticker,

"God was my co-pilot, but the plane crashed in the mountains and I ate him."

flieswithoutwings said...

I don't think the "God" answer is the truth. I think it's a fast, easy, canned, no-brainer response that like-minded people will quickly get behind.

Native Minnow said...

Gordon, How's this for a bumper sticker sure to offend:

"I found Jesus. He was sleeping in the back of my truck when I got back from Tijuana."

It's on my lab mate's truck.