Monday, November 07, 2005

Putting Down the Pony

Someone asked what I think about "My Little Pony" after that last entry. This comes into play as I've been meaning to tell everyone that I don't like my kids playing with squirt guns or any guns for that matter. Guns are not toys. I want to wait till they're older then hand them a real gun with instructions, "You should only have an instinct to point this at things you truly wish to blast to all hell." Once I've told them that, I hope they will immediately take aim on the "My Little Pony" figures and dolls my wife bought for my daughter.

Most cartoons for girls seem to boil down to the same thing: Be pretty. At any cost and above all else, be pretty. Dress up, comb your hair, do your make-up, if you want to be the total package learn to cook. As a dude and the husband of a dudette and the father of two dudes and a dudette I would like to assert that pretty isn't permanent for anyone. Enjoy it if you have it. Appreciate it. But it doesn't make you a better person. Often it makes you raunchy, proud and ungrateful. If your looks are your only redeeming quality you've got a lonely road ahead of you.

Nobody can teach you to be cool. Not Pauly Shore, not Kid-N-Play, not the Fonz. So just be you. Be what you're like. Be like yourself.

1 comment:

Gordon said...

Pretty fades, but "puts out" is forever.