Monday, March 26, 2007

Rehashed and comin' down the pipe

When I listen to music, I can't help but pick it apart. Especially stuff like DJ Shadow. He's cool but half the fun is figuring out what musicians he took his samples from.

It bothers me when new music is just regurgitated melodies from older hit songs. Like song number 2 on Greenday's "American Idiot" sounds just like a stolen melody from Motley Crue's first album except they threw in the chorus from "Summer of '69" just to mix things up. Doesn't U2's "Vertigo" just sound like another remake of that old "You keep me hanging on" song, except stupider? Catorce!

Lately, they've been playing a song on the radio by "The Silversun Pickups" which I originally thought was a Sonic Youth song but also sounds a lot like The Smashing Pumpkins. It's a pretty good song. If you steal then you should steal from the best.

One song I hear a lot that I think totally blows is called "Young Folks" by Peter Bjorn and John. It's boooooooooring. The first time I had to sit bored through this song I realized the whistling and singing is just a rip off of Weezer's "Hashpipe" song. Except Peter and John's song lacks loud guitars, pop-rock hooks, badittude, zazz, the ability to play an instrument aside from a drum machine, and whatever else it is that makes Weezer cool.

Compare:



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...They are nearly the exact same tune/beat etc...I hope someone like the Drudge Report picks up on your blog and puts this in the national news....It would be one of those huge embarrassments to the plagiarizers... :) PI

Native Minnow said...

When that Weezer song came out, it was one of Logan's favorite songs. I felt a little guilty hearing my 7 year old (at the time) singing about his hashpipe, but oh well.

slimysculpin said...

You bastard. Guess which of these songs is stuck in my head- going on three days now.

flieswithoutwings said...

It's that infectious whistling, isn't it? You've been hipmotized by the goofy video.

It could be worse.

andyosier said...

I love that Young Folks song! Especially the part when she whistles and he's just bobbing his head and grooving like it's something really special.