Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A Little Hipster Dufus with a Guitar in a Coffin

It seems with every passing day life is more about what I have to do and less about what I would like to do. I think Chad feels the same way, because he called me today and told me to bring my acoustic guitar to work so we could finally JAM during our breaks.

I was hesitant for a moment because I could imagine the mofos reaction. Plus I haven't really played in about 4 months. But whether you play the guitar or not, imagine taking a guitar with you to work and that is pretty much how I felt. It's kind of like being that weird kid in high school who starts wearing a trench coat because he needs a personality and too many people are already that-kid-with-the-earring.

When we did show up for work they saw our guitars and people yelled at us to play them some music. One person said, "What the f*** is this? Woodstock?" It was my boss.

I was a little worried when Chad called me, though. He said, "We should bring our guitars tonight. Actually, let me check the strings on my guitar while I'm thinking about it..."

I dreaded that he was one of those hardnose musicians who changes his strings every couple of weeks who would lecture me about how I'm not taking good enough care of my guitar. The kind of guy who spends 90% of his time tuning the guitar instead of playing.

But then Chad said, "Yep, there's six of them. We're good." And it made me feel better. We must love music because there isn't a single girl around at work to impress by saying we are musicians.

As is common in my life, nothing works as it is supposed to. The handle on my guitar case is broken so I had to carry it around the warehouse like a rifle under my arm. It made me feel like a lame character in one of those "Once upon a time in Mexico" movies.

5 comments:

ShootingStar said...

I love stories like this. I'm honestly a little too plain--even boring I might go so far as to say. I played hopscotch recently in Dupont circle In D.C. and felt pretty damn cool afterwords--though a bit conspicuous while doin it. I just love knowing that people who are cool enough to carry their guitars around at work also feel a bit conspicuous in the moment.

PsychDoctor said...

so how did the jam session go?

Native Minnow said...

So a friend of mine is getting married in a few weeks, and his fiancee had her bachelor party last Saturday. They were up on the Strip and saw KG from Tenacious D walking around playing his guitar on the sidewalk (this was after I saw them in concert).

Just thought I'd tell you that even people who have made it sometimes like to jam in public without getting paid.

And it's better to feel like you're in a "Once upon a time in Mexico" movie because of your guitar case than it is because you're standing in a bathroom stall that has a broken toilet and crap smeared all over the walls.

Native Minnow said...

Make that her bachelorette party. They are getting married in Massachussetts though.

flieswithoutwings said...

Stop the rock. Can't stop the rock.

It seems to be delayed pretty frequently though. Jamming was short.