Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The Thrill is Gone

I am worried that work will take the thrill out of life. I'm talking about rollercoasters and other thrill rides at amusement parks.

If an average day of work is to be on this lift 40 feet in the air with one foot on a shelf and another foot across a three foot chasm as the lift sways around, all while trying to wrestle a mushy king-sized matress onto my cart then how are amusement park rides going to get my adrenaline pumping? On the lift we use a seven foot safety strap (like a tow strap for a car) that is just as likely to tear your skin off and dislocate your bones if you actually fall as it is to save your life (One guy told me his cart was a foot or two away from the cab and he slipped through the hole; 27 stitches in his leg). How am I supposed to get nervous about being strapped in, six ways to Sunday, on some park ride that just takes you up to the sky and then brings you back down again?

I never really doubted it before, but I know for a fact I have no fear of heights since I started this job. What is a guy like me supposed to do for fun anymore?

2 comments:

Native Minnow said...

Sounds fun . . . stay safe.

Lindsay Logic said...

There's always skydiving. (Without the guy with his arms around you.)