Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Maybe It IS Me (and My Unit)

I'm ready to admit that maybe I'm demanding. For all my complaining about jobs, if I was a single shut-in, sleeping on my mom's couch, I'm sure I would be fine with $7/hr employment. At my family's request, I resigned from that "Industrial Technician" position this morning. The people were great: they treated me like a human being and everything. I also liked the miscellaneous dogs wandering through the office. The work seemed exciting with the drawback of being potentially deadly. And the boss made me a flat-out promise of over $30K for the year, even if I stayed at my beginning wage (which he said would go up).

My wife can't fathom me being gone for weeks at a time, leaving her alone with the kids. And she is a worry-wart. I had to quit. The boss said he wished me the best and that the door was still open. I guess if I'm turning down a $30K job I can't complain. Or can I? A week of training was nothing but safety instructions. If you turn on the news you will see it's dangerous; dangerous beyond the point of being safe so long as you pay attention. I'm worried I won't be so lucky again in finding a decent job, though.

Eleanor wants me to be a Court Clerk, but I don't think I can stand to see innocent people fined for lame traffic stops or the ignorance of those at fault.

Paying for your family is tough. You have to be so picky.

No comments: